How is misalignment recognized?
There are several symptoms indicating misalignment. By keeping your eyes open you can find them without any special equipment.
- Premature bearing, seal, shaft and coupling failure
- Excessive radial and axial vibrations
- High casing temperature at or near the bearings or high discharge oil temperature
- Excessive amount of oil leakage at the bearing seals
- The coupling is hot while it is running and immediately after unit shutdown.
- Look for rubber powder inside the coupling shroud
- Loose foundation bolts
- Loose or broken coupling bolts
- Excessive amount of grease on the inside of coupling guard
- Similar pieces of equipment are vibrating less or seem to have longer operating life
- The shafts are breaking (or cracking) at or close to the inboard bearings or coupling hubs